I started this blog to document the Neurodevelopmental Reorganization program we are following
with Active Healing, Inc. for my two sons in the hopes of helping with their dyspraxia and adhd.

When change happens slowly, it can be hard to notice. I hope this blog becomes an way for me to keep the big picture in sight and an outlet where I can talk about these things freely. Maybe it will help others, too.

Friday, January 28, 2011

Things starting to improve?

I brought the boys up to see Sarge at Active Healing for their first full re-evaluation which he does every 4 months.  There were some improvements in certain things which was very good to see.  I look forward to reading his full report.

Harry has been having a rough time lately.  I asked him how he was feeling on his new dosage of Concerta (we went from 18/27mg to 36mg at Xmas).  He had previously reported he felt better, but now he said he feels worse.  We decided to try just 18mg the next day and he said he felt better.  We've stayed with that dose for the last few days and he seems to feel better.  Because it has been wearing off more obviously in the afternoon and he has been having a hard time doing his homework without it, we added in a 5mg booster of short-acting Ritalin after school the last couple of days.  It seems to work really well, he stays calmer and did his homework much more easily.

I have been in touch with the pediatrician about these things and he agreed with the change.  I also asked him about trying something for Harry's anxiety which seems to be affecting him more and more.  I don't like adding another medication, but maybe something to help get him over this rough patch.  I'm waiting to hear back from the doctor, hopefully today.

Harry's teacher asked me if I would come in and observe him in class.  That can't be good...  I am going to do that next week, I'm not sure what she expects me to see.  I'm starting to think I should ask the school to do a full core evaluation for him.  Maybe his difficulties are coming from a measurable learning disability and he was able to compensate for it until now (now that the work is getting more difficult).  I'm not sure his teacher knows much about all this, it's only her 3rd year teaching.  Maybe she's never had a 2e kid before.  If it can be clearly shown and documented maybe he can move to an IEP and we can get him more accomodations.

Tom has been taking his new adhd medication for 2 weeks and while his PT and I don't really see much difference, his teacher reports an improvement in his ability to stay in his seat and focus a little better.  I'm glad there's an improvement, but still hope for more.  Thankfully there have been no adverse effects.  The neurologist said to increase the dose so we will try that tomorrow.

Tom will have more school testing done in another week and we will hopefully discover more about his learning difficulties and get him more help.  Maybe he can benefit from special ed at this point, I don't know.  I wonder at what point do kids qualify for an aide in the classroom?  I think I've heard of an aide being shared between a few kids, I'm not sure.  I wonder how he would do with someone keeping him on track.

Things have been rough for a few weeks, but hopefully are starting to turn around now.

No comments:

Post a Comment