I started this blog to document the Neurodevelopmental Reorganization program we are following
with Active Healing, Inc. for my two sons in the hopes of helping with their dyspraxia and adhd.

When change happens slowly, it can be hard to notice. I hope this blog becomes an way for me to keep the big picture in sight and an outlet where I can talk about these things freely. Maybe it will help others, too.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

2 Weeks In...

So we're just over two weeks into the program and so far, so good.  We've been good about getting at least one session each day, even though the program calls for 2 (and even 3 of a few things).  It's just hard to fit it all in - nothing can get done before school (I can barely get them together and onto the bus by 7:35am) and doing some after school means we're doing another session just a couple of hours later.  Anyway, we're doing pretty darn good.

We also cut milk out of their diets.  It almost caused a full scale revolt since DS1 drinks at least a gallon of chocolate milk a week and DS2 drinks the same amount of white milk.  We have substituted Gatorade for now (I'm not a huge fan of it, but my MIL buys it for them and they like it).  Baby steps.  It's been almost 2 weeks off milk (I haven't tackled the rest of dairy like cheese and yogurt yet) and suddenly in the last few days DS1's appetite has totally picked up.  It is so exciting because he is such a picky eater and has been eating less and less food and is getting scrawny.  He's one of the littlest kids in his grade.  He eats no fruits or vegetables, much to my dismay and I have a lot of trouble just finding half-decent things he'll eat.

I also dropped his concerta dose from 27mg back to 18mg which may have helped his appetite, too.  I don't really notice any decline in the effect of the concerta so we'll stay at 18 and see how it goes.  Ultimately, it would be so amazing to be able to discontinue any adhd meds as we progress through the program.

I have some video clips I put together and plan to continue taking videos of their progress as we go along.

This is during the initial evaluation appointment before starting the program.  DS2 had a very strong response to the spinal galant test where you can see he kept his head down and started crying.  Sarge said he's never had a kid react like that.  You can also see their crawling and creeping patterns and a little skipping and hopping.  evaluation highlights

This is DS1 about 10 days into the program.  This is DS2 about 10 days into the program.

Today, Saturday 10/16, DS2 had such an amazing therapy session I actually had tears in my eyes.  He had beautiful form on his patterns, didn't whine and get distracted and just did a fantastic job.  I was so proud of him and really played it up with him giving him huge hugs and hi 5's and made a big deal about it.  He was really tickled and hopefully will keep up the good work.  Both boys were actually very well behaved today and I praised them a lot for it.

Sarge is also a big proponent of chiropractic care and the boys and I have been seeing the chiropractor that originally told me about him for about a month now.  I like her a lot, she thoroughly evaluated the boys and sees the boys weekly (twice a week for the first few weeks).  They seem to like going to her, but I always feel stressed when we go because the boys are all over the place there.  They're pulling delicate things off the shelves to play with, fighting with each other, messing around with the adjustments on the tables, asking for animal crackers or just generally being pains in the asses.  Sometimes I feel like taking them places is like trying to herd cats.  Today at the chiropractors, they were very well behaved and easy going.

Is today's success the beginning of progress from the new program (exercises, no dairy, extra vitamins, chiropractic care) or just a good day?  We'll see, but it's still good  :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I had to laugh when I read your description of your boys at the chiro's office. Sounded exactly like mine, when I took him. Hah!

    I hope your last visit was sign of good things to come.

    What's with the dairy elimination? (that would be painlful for us, but I'd be willing to give it a shot, if it would help with the ADHD)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lynne! :)

    Some people believe that dairy is actually not a healthy food. Their premise is that humans are the only animal on the planet that drink the milk of another animal. It is very mucus-producing and can cause congestion, constipation and many people have sensitivities to it.

    The chiro did muscle testing and both boys tested sensitive to dairy and DS2 tested for soy, too. (she tested for dairy, soy, gluten and corn)

    I liked the milk for extra calories, but am willing to try without it to see if it helps. We're not 100% dairy-free (Annie's mac & cheese is a staple in our house), but just cutting out the milk was a challenge. If it has helped DS1's appetite then it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete